Belize Wedding Requirements
Are you dreaming of the perfect, hassle - free and romantic wedding in a Caribbean Paradise? Then Hatchet Caye is the place for you! Whether you want a legal or a religious ceremony, getting married at Hatchet Caye Resort is easy. Just let us know what you envision for this special occasion and our wedding coordinator will take care of all the details for you. If you have any questions about getting married in Belize please feel free to contact us anytime.
Marriage ceremonies in Belize are internationally valid.
Belize wedding requirements to obtain a special license to get married in Belize:
- Both parties must be in the country three (3) days prior to filing the petition of the license. All documents required must be original documents, but certified copies with lifted seal of the original documents are acceptable.
- For those who aren't in the country for three days, it is possible to apply for a Special License (for an additional fee) and the form must be signed by both applicants, verified by affidavit, and accompanied by the applicants' identity documents (i.e. certified copies of applicants' birth certificate, passport, etc.). All documents required must be original documents, but certified copies with lifted seal of the original documents are acceptable.
- Application forms are obtained at Hatchet Caye.
- Completed forms along with the items in the following list must be presented to General Registry or Solicitor General.
- Identification Documents - All documents required must be original documents but certified copies with lifted seal of the original documents are acceptable.
- Citizenship - No residency requirement.
- Blood test - No blood test or parental consent is needed if over age 18.
- Marital status - Original or certified copy with lifted seal of divorce or death certificates must be presented if divorced or widowed.
- Witnesses - Two witnesses, can include hotel staff, but must be at least 18 years
- Proof that both parties are above age 18 years.
The ceremony may be performed by a senior justice of the peace at Hatchet Caye between the hours of 10:00 am and 3:00 pm inclusive of Saturdays, Sundays, and public and bank holidays.
Please note that the application form is to be submitted to the Registry Office, in Belize City, on a business day (Monday to Friday). If approved, your license will be ready within 2 working days. The wedding ceremony can be performed the following day the license is received.